The mission of the Center of Community Service is to facilitate partnerships and programs that connect community assets with university resources through engagement and education. The center envisions transformational partnerships that recognize the role and leverage the resources of the university in creating a more just world.
- We are growing opportunities for students to engage in local Boston communities as early as their first week at Northeastern and throughout their entire time at NU through community tours, service days and the nuSERVES program.
- We are providing an opportunity for 90 AmeriCorps members per year to address education inequality through the Massachusetts Promise Fellowship and Jumpstart programs.
- We offer five local youth-serving agencies hosting a Massachusetts Promise Fellow AmeriCorps member in 2016-17.
- We engage with more than 40 faculty members annually to incorporate service-learning opportunities into more than 80 academic courses.
- We create opportunities for local Boston youth attending NU through their participation in the Civic Engagement Program (CEP).
- We engaged a record 1,300 student scholars in the Civic Engagement Program in 2016-17 who will be collectively serve 150,000 next year.
- We encourage NU student groups to respond to needs identified by the community through the Student Community Service Grant award process.
- We create learning opportunities for 200 students & staff annually in our Alternative Spring Break (ASB) program each March.
- We celebrate community partnerships at our annual Pancakes & Partnerships Community Partner Celebration and Recognition breakfast.
- We have gathered together a new Community Advisory Board (CAB) to seek input from community members on the work of the City & Community Affairs Division.