Student organizations at Northeastern University work in concert with the Center for Student Involvement (CSI), which encourages and facilitates a broad spectrum of educational and social co-curricular opportunities designed to enhance the experiential learning and holistic development of our students. It is through innovative leadership offerings, student organizations and fraternity/sorority advisement and employment opportunities, that CSI empowers students to be visionary, ethical, culturally competent and responsible members of our global community.
In addition, more than 2,100 students are involved in fraternity/sorority life at Northeastern. We currently have 27 different fraternities and sororities that provide unique opportunities for students to engage in educational, social, philanthropic, and academic endeavors. There are 4 governing councils for fraternity/sorority life that represent the different needs and demographics of the organizations represented in that council.
There are over 350 recognized student organizations representing a variety of interests.
Organizations represent a number of categories, including: International & Cultural, Advocacy & Global Impact, Creative & Visual Arts, Northeastern Community Connection; Philanthropic & Community Engagement, Political Action, Religious & Spiritual, Fraternities, Leadership & Governing and more!
Fraternitity/Sorority Life Governing Councils
National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC)
- Umbrella organization for historically African American fraternities and sororities also known as the “Divine Nine”
- Founded during racial segregation to support, advance, and uplift the Black community
Multicultural Greek Council (MGC)
- Umbrella organization for 7 Asian interest, South Asian interest, or multicultural fraternities and sororities
- Founded to celebrate cultural heritage or multiculturalism and expand cultural awareness
National Panhellenic Council (Panhellenic)
- Umbrella organization for 9 sororities
- Founded to provide women an experience where they could addresses women’s issues and create a community of support and confidence
Interfraternity Council (IFC)
- Umbrella organization for 9 fraternities
- Founded as the first type of social fraternity to positively impact the development of men
Fraternity/Sorority Staff Sponsored Diversity Initiatives
The Fraternity/Sorority Life staff members in the Center for Student Involvement are committed to creating a more inclusive fraternity/sorority community. The following are some of the diversity initiatives or partnerships that currently exist for fraternity/sorority life on campus:
- FSL Diversity & Inclusion Task Force
- Diversity/inclusion programming through Jr. FSL
- Gay and Greek Program
- Advising conversations
- Campus partnerships – African American Institute, Asian American Center, LGBTQ Resource Center, and the Social Justice Resource Center
- Program such as “What does it mean to be a Black Greek Letter Organization?”, Taste of Multicultural Greek Council, Women’s Empowerment Series, Men and Masculinities Program
For a complete list of all student organizations, visit: www.northeastern.edu/csi
For more information on Fraternity/Sorority Life governing councils, visit: www.northeastern.edu/csi/fraternity-and-sorority-life/governing-council/