The ADVANCE Office of Faculty Development works in conjunction with the Center for the Advancement for Teaching and Learning Through Research (CATLR), the Office of Research Development (ORD), and the Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion (OIDI) to provide programs and trainings to further develop and support thriving faculty.
The office continually works to:
- Advance the recruitment and mentoring of women faculty and continue to increase faculty diversity.
- Attract outstanding young faculty to Northeastern.
- Improve faculty mentoring and leadership development.
- Prepare active mid-career faculty to enter the academic leadership pipeline and mentor early-career faculty.
- Develop faculty recognition programs and actively promote faculty for membership in national academies and for highly prestigious fellowships.
ADVANCE’s specific goals are to:
- Increase tenure and tenure-track underrepresented faculty members
- Increase tenure review success rate
- Increase the cohort tenure rate
- Increase the representation of women and faculty of color among full professors
- Continue to promote women and underrepresented faculty members in leadership roles
- Continue to improve departmental climate
- Future Faculty Fellowship Program early identifies young scholars for postdoctoral studies and possible consideration for a future faculty position at Northeastern University.
- The number of Future Faculty Fellow positions has been expanded from 1 to 4 and now includes all disciplines with tenure-track faculty.
- ADVANCE is working to publicize the Future Faculty Fellowship program at national conferences that support underrepresented scholars in higher education.
- Other offerings include Monthly Mentoring Discussions, Chairs Workshops, Leadership Development Programs, STRIDE Faculty Search Committee Workshops.