Northeastern Hillel enriches the lives of Jewish students at Northeastern University so that they may enrich the Jewish people and the world.
We provide a welcoming, pluralistic Jewish community on campus that supports students in their transition to, and throughout, their university experience. We co-create action opportunities with students to explore and live their values, both on and off-campus. We offer Northeastern students opportunities to develop a meaningful relationship with Israel, including opportunities to study, volunteer, Co-op, and tour in Israel.
- Good Deeds Day-NU Hillel participated in the international Good Deeds Day on Sunday, April 10th, with NU students participating in community service at 4 volunteer sites
- Meaningful Shabbat Programming: Avi Interfaith Shabbat & Shabbat Around the World (Diversity Shabbat) & Shabbat Across NU (hosted by NU students in their homes or residence halls) & Brudnick Wellness Shabbat & Israel Diversity Shabbat & Pink Shabbat with AE Phi (Breast Cancer Awareness)
- On Feb. 6th, NU Hillel was honored to host 25 visiting Argov fellows from the Leadership and Diplomacy program Israel’s premier university, IDC Herzliya, as well as 25 Boston area student leaders for a dinner, dialogue and cultural exchange. IDC Herzliya subsequently asked NU Hillel to make this mifgash an annual gathering.
- On Oct. 25th, NU Hillel hosted regional, “Moving Forward in the Middle East: The Future of Minority Communities” Student Leadership Summit at Northeastern featuring George Deek, a Christian Arab and former Israeli Ambassador to Norway and Lian Najami, Muslim Israeli Youth Activist.
- NU Hillel co-hosted a Jews Cruise Charitable Fundraiser with AE Pi again this year for 900 NU students. Tickets sold out in 3 hours, raising over $25K for veterans through the charity Heroes to Heroes. Last year, tickets also sold out, and we raised $19K for Innovation Africa.
- “Jews Who Serve” On March 25th, NU Hillel hosted a panel of 2 NU Hillel students and staff, who shared their personal stories of what it’s like to be Jewish in the army, and what service means to them: 1st Sergeant Or Elmaliah (IDF), Sergeant Lizzy Goldman (IDF), 1st Lieutenant Ben Dratch (US Army), and Cadet Private Mara Tazartus (US Army)
- NU Hillel’s Belly Dance Troop & Performances: Learn about Jews in the Middle East and the belly dance scene in Israel today while exploring the technique, history, music, and movement behind belly dance.
- NU Hillel welcomed new Jewish students to school in September, piloting our first-year orientation program called “FreshFest.” We also launched a FYSH leadership board (First Year Students of Hillel) with special programming and funding for first year NU students.
- NU Hillel took more than 100 NU students on a free 10 day trip to Israel in 2015-2016 through Taglit Birthright Israel
- NU Hillel took 42 NU Jewish and non-Jewish students on an Alternative Spring Break service trip to Israel this Spring
- 9 NU students participated in a 10-week internship in Israel through Onward Israel
- 9 NU students participated in a 4+ month internship in Israel through MASA
- Israeli American students from NU participated in a Mishelanu retreat in Western Massachusetts with Israeli Americans from campuses throughout MA
Awards and Recognition in 2015-2016
- NU Hillel’s Executive Director was elected to the Hillel International Directors’ Cabinet (February 2016)
- Northeastern Hillel’s IACT Coordinator and Executive Director were featured in an IACT video (February 2016)
- NU Hillel student leader, Ross Beroff, was appointed to the inaugural Hillel International Student Advisory Board (just 24 students) (March 2016)
- Northeastern students received more awards than any other campus at the annual Israel Campus Roundtable Student Leadership Gala (April 2016)
- Northeastern Hillel’s Israel Fellow and Executive Director will be featured in a Mishelanu video (May 2016)
- Jewish Pluralism Award, Northeastern Hillel’s Executive Director, Synagogue Council of MA (June 2016)